Hand Held Exercise Equipment : Exercise Equipment Treadmill.
Hand Held Exercise Equipment
- An exercise equipment is any equipment used for physical exercise.
- Fitness gear or clothing — for example ‘stability ball’.
- Designed to be held in the hand
- A mobile device (also known as a handheld device, handheld computer or simply handheld) is a pocket-sized computing device, typically having a display screen with touch input and/or a miniature keyboard.
- Handheld electronics is a common name for mobile devices. Handheld electronics includes personal digital assistants (PDAs), such as Palm Pilots or cellular telephones with connectivity to a network such as the internet.
- small and light enough to be operated while you hold it in your hands; "a hand-held computer"
hand held exercise equipment – Valeo HW2
Tone your muscles without heading to the gym day after day with the Valeo HW2 2-pound neoprene hand weights. Each hand weight is coated with colorful neoprene, which provides a comfortable nonslip grip whether you’re performing curls, tricep extensions, flies, or a host of other exercises. The weights help you improve your muscle tone and core strength, while also enhancing your aerobic exercises and fitness training. The HW2 weights come with an exercise wall chart that demonstrates the proper form for several upper-body exercises, along with an attractive retail box.
The Lummus’ farm was in the Blackland Belt, a natural region that stretches from the Rio Grande to the Red River. In 1915 it was the principal cotton-producing area of Texas, and remained so until the 1930s. Jackson Lummus was a cotton farmer whose father Robert was a cotton farmer first in Mississippi and at the turn of the century a cotton farmer in Ellis County.
Jack attended Ennis High School from September of 1931 through May of 1934. He excelled at athletics in football, basketball and track. He was growing into a tall, lean, muscular young man with great hands and the speed and grace of a gazelle. In football he earned all-district honors in his sophomore and junior years. But before the start of his senior year, he fell ill, and did not attend either semester of his senior year.
In the summer of 1935 Jack was offered, and accepted a two-year athletics scholarship to Texas Military College in Terrell, Texas. TMC opened its 21st annual session at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, September 20, 1935 at college assembly. At 10:30 a.m. regular classes for the term started. TMC was a two-year junior college with a high school department. Jack enrolled in the high school department, but competed in junior college athletics. He earned all-conference honors in football before graduating May 28, 1937. His success in athletics earned scholarship offers from Tulane and Baylor Universities.
On Tuesday, September 14, 1937, Jack enrolled as a freshman at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. His major course of study was physical education with a minor in history. His first quarter was the start of Baylor’s ninety-second school year. When registration closed on Saturday, September 25, enrollment for the fall quarter had reached 2,079, a new school record.
Jack attended Baylor four years completing his eligibility in Southwest Conference athletics on Saturday, May 24, 1941, in the final Southwest Conference baseball game of the season.
Being at the end of his collegiate athletic career Jack could look back with pride on his three varsity baseball seasons at Baylor. He had earned All-Southwest Conference honors in 1939, 1940 and 1941 on teams that finished the seasons in third place. Many considered him the greatest defensive center fielder in the history of Baylor baseball. Baylor football was a different story. Jack had exceptional ability. He had been compared to two-time All-American wingman, Sam Boyd, but fell short of his potential. He managed to earn NEA All-American honorable mention in 1939.
Before leaving Baylor Jack signed a minor league baseball contract with the Wichita Falls Spudders in the West Texas-New Mexico League, and a Uniform Player’s Contract with the New York Football Giants of the National Football League.
In August of 1941 Jack reported to the New York Giants’ training camp at Superior State Teachers College, Superior, Wisconsin. He made the final cut, and was a freshman end on the 33-man roster that opened the season against the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday night, September 13, at Municipal Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. "Stout" Steve Owen was in his 11th season as head coach; John V. Mara was president and treasurer, and Wellington T. Mara secretary.
In 1941 the Giants won the Eastern Division and the Chicago Bears the Western Division of the National Football League. The NFL championship game was played at Wrigley Field in Chicago on Sunday, December 21 at 1:00 p.m. The Bears kicked off to the Giants, and the game was even through the first half and seven minutes into the third quarter with the score tied 9 to 9. Then the Bears moved ahead by seven points, and dominating the remainder of play took their second NFL title in as many years beating the Giants 37 to 9.
On Friday, January 30, 1942, Jack joined the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve in Dallas, Texas for the duration of the national emergency. He was immediately assigned to active duty, and at 9:00 p.m., with 13 other recruits, boarded a Pullman car on the Texas & Pacific Railroad for the first leg of the journey to San Diego, California and basic training.
On Sunday, October 18, Jack joined the 15th Candidates’ Class, Marine Corps Schools, Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia. He graduated 36th in a class of 255 on December 30, and was appointed second lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserve. On the day of graduation he joined the 18th Reserve Officers’ Class graduating March 11, 1943. He was detached from Marine Corps Schools on the day of graduation to Marine Barracks, Camp Elliott, San Diego, California.
Jack volunteered for Marine Raider, and was detached from Camp Elliott on June 24, 1943 to Camp Joseph H. Pendleton, Oceanside, California.
On Friday, June 25, he joined
Barrington (IL) Fire Department
A few days later the Fred Buck mansion on West Lake Street went up in smoke, and a great shower of burning shingles dropped their fire brands in a strong southeast wind on the home of Dick Earith, saved only by blankets on his roof kept wet by a hand bucket brigade. A fire began in the C.C. Henning’s saloon and burned out the rest of the block through Grebe, Stott, Grunau in 1892 or 1893. When the August W. Meyer store big fire began in 1898, it swept the entire block with no fire fighting equipment or water to stop it.
So the village naturally worried about what would happen if a fire began in the two blocks of all frame buildings on the south side of Main Street. It would clean up the row from Hough Street to the bank. There was no whistle; and the church bells, especially the big Zion Church bell, were the only alarm.
Better alarms were the whistle on Gieske’s Barrington Steam Laundry, which became available in 1901, and the whistle on the Bowman Dairy Co. plant on Applebee Street in 1904.
A Fire Department was organized June 15, 1898, with thirty-seven volunteers listed. Mr. Ed. J. Heise of the Creamery was the organizing President. John Brommelkamp was Fire Marshall, George Stiefenhoefer was Secretary, and Carl Naeher was Treasurer. At the next meeting they adopted a constitution which was approved by the Village Board, but they reduced their membership on the charter (it is understood at the Board’s request) to twenty men. Every man was assigned duties, and regular meetings, practices and roll calls were held with faithful attendance required. For some time each man was paid twenty-five cents for attendance at each meeting, and they soon began paying each man $2.00 for labor at a fire. The Secretary was paid $5.00 a year. Oyster suppers and many ball games were put on for fun as well as to meet expenses. Firemen were sent to State Fire Conventions, Henry Schroeder being among the first, who brought home a good report of suggestions and demonstrations at Princeton, Illinois.
At the beginning "there were two hose teams within the company as well as a hook and ladder company, but the hose teams were soon united. This organization joined the State Fire Association in 1900, and that association made frequent requests of the Village Board to pass certain helpful and protective ordinances. It got the Board to pass an ordinance charging outside fire insurance companies a 2 per cent tax on fire insurance premiums in Barrington.
The first fire fighting equipment was a two wheeled hose cart, hand drawn, and was still in usable condition at the time of the Department semi-centennial. Next was a combination hook and ladder truck and hose reel with coats, hats, boots, axes and pike poles, pulled either by team, or ropes reeled out for men to pull. Later came the Ford truck bought in November, 1919.
Then came the handsome Pirsch engine bought July 2, 1926. It added a considerable force, enough to blow one man completely out of the way when he strenuously objected to their turning the hose on a fire. That was as effective, probably, as exercising their prerogative of detaining and arresting anyone hindering work in fire extinction or refusing to aid when called upon by a fire official. In 1948 that Pirsch was still in use and the Village’s only engine. The Company kept in the engine house two engines belonging to the Countryside Fire Protective District with proper arrangement for village use.
There was always keen competition for teams of horses to be the first to get to the engine house on Station Street (where the pump house is now), to haul the hook and ladder combination truck to the fire. The first team there got $5.00 for its service.
The first hose cart was kept back of the village hall. In 1900 a fire equipment house was built on Station Street where the new pump house and second well are now. For a time the engine was kept in the Gold Star building at Station and Park Avenue till the village hall was remodeled. The old frame fire house was sold and moved away, the steam pumps taken out of the village hall and two electric Deep Well Turbine pumps put in the new pump house as well as three booster pumps for service from reservoir to standpipe. The abandoned space in the village hall was made over into offices and a fire company house, much to the dismay of the venerable Croquet Club who
hand held exercise equipment